There are a lot of things I could say about the MTV Video Music Awards last night, but I’m sure you already know what I would say. It is most unfortunate that we cannot unsee what was seen nor can we time travel to warn ourselves to look away. I could be an angry mom complaining about a young woman who seems in need of help or attention and or a combination of both, but I’d rather be the mom enthusiastically discussing Justin Timberlake’s awesomeness and a short-sweet Nsync reunion.
In all the VMA distractions, I forgot that I had learned an important lesson last night: I AM OLD.
I can remember the days when my parents would complain about the ‘noise’ I listened to in my younger days, so when did I start doing the complaining?
Here are a few ways the MTV VMAs slapped me in the face with my older age. (And in my defense, I only watched hopeful for an Nsync reunion which did not disappoint).
1. Despite listening to music regularly and staying current on pop culture, I only recognized Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift on the VMA pre-show. No exaggeration.
2. I had no idea music videos still existed, nor that MTV actually showed them.
3. I thought Lil’ Kim looked old and matronly with both of her boobs hidden under a shirt.
4. Excited to see so many VMA ladies wearing wigs. Would make my life easier if I didn’t have to brush or style my hair.
5. It wasn’t music, it was comedy.
6. In Miley’s defense, I admire the practical footwear she wore during her ‘performance.’
7. GET OFF MY LAWN!
8. Child bearing has made it impossible for me to twerk.
9. It had been 11 years since Nsync last performed at the VMAs together. Too long. Too long.
10. Not only did I NOT marry all of Nsync, I married a man who (until last night) was not aware of my previous intentions.
© 2013, Jennifer. All rights reserved.